Tuesday, January 18, 2011

strawberry butter



Our couple's group met last night at our friends the Burnettes' house, and the menu theme was "breakfast for supper."  Yummy.  I love breakfast, anytime of day.  I was asked to bring bread (biscuits, croissants, etc.) which is great, but what is good breakfast bread without something yummy to spread on it?
Our family has a special fondness for strawberry butter.  There is a great place to eat not too far away from Murray State called Patti's, where they serve strawberry butter to spread on this warm, yummy bread baked in flower pots.  It is unbelievable.  It will change your life.  Check out Patti's if you're ever in west KY.  The daddy bird and I shared a few dates there back in the good old days.
I found this recipe in my well used copy of the Cotton Country Collection, a cookbook put out by the Junior League of Monroe, LA in 1972.  I made a couple of changes, and this is what I ended up with:

You will need:
1 pint of fresh strawberries (washed and hulled) or 10 oz frozen, thawed and drained
(I usually use frozen)
1/2 lb unsalted butter
1 cup powdered sugar; if using frozen berries use 1/2 cup

Make sure all ingredients are at WARM ROOM TEMPERATURE!  This is crucial to your success.
Beat all ingredients together with an electric mixer, starting at medium speed and increasing to high speed, until combined and fluffy.
If your mixture looks curdled, keep blending, it takes quite a while to get everything combined well, especially if the butter or strawberries are cool at all.  The ingredients must be at room temp to combine well.
Chill, and serve with biscuits, rolls, muffins, toast, waffles, pancakes, pretzels, or just eat it straight out of the bowl, ha!
Makes 2 1/2 cups

This may be just as good with margerine.  I usually use butter when I cook, but I could see margerine being substituted here with great results.

Enjoy it ya'll!



3 comments:

Patrick T said...

yes but margarine would be the less healthy choice, wouldn't it? That stuff sounds delicious though!

Mommy Webb said...

I can vouch for the insane yummyness of Melissa's strawberry butter. I had leftovers that she gave me last night for breakfast this morning:). But I enjoy everything that she cooks, so no surprise there. Great pic btw. Can't wait to check out your new camera.

Tiffany Keene said...

YOU MEAN I MISSED THAT!?! Stupid Strep!!!! Your timing is aweful! (The Strep, not you Melissa lol!)
I will have to invite myself over the next time it's on your menu :)