Wednesday, August 24, 2011

summer gazpacho


Do y'all know what gazpacho is?

Gazpacho is a cold, tomato based soup that can be eaten as an appetizer or a light main course.  If you are like me, the last thing I want when it's 90 degrees outside is a bowl of hot soup.

Enter gazpacho.  This soup is so refreshing, sometimes I just drink it from a mug instead of bothering with a bowl and spoon.

My favorite recipe for gazpacho came from my Aunt Cathy who was kind enough to share it with me!

Here's how you make it:

In a large bowl combine:
1 c. peeled tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 c. finely chopped green pepper
1/2 c.  peeled, chopped cucumber
1/4 c. chopped onion (red onion is especially good or a mild sweet onion)
2 tsp. minced parsley
1 tsp. snipped chives (I leave these out if I don't have them)
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3 T. red or white wine vinegar

2 T. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 c. tomato juice (or more depending on how thick you like your soup)
Chill.  Serve as an appetizer or cold soup. 


Easy peasy.  Try it, you'll like it.  And, it's good for you!

And one more thing.  For an easy way to peel tomatoes, get a sauce pan full of water simmering on the stove.  Cut an X in the bottom of your tomatoes and place in the simmering water for about 30 seconds.  Remove from the water, and the peel will come off easily with a knife.

3 comments:

a. meredith said...

do you cook it all together and then chill it? or just mix it and chill it? i want to try this!

melissaballard said...

You just mix it and chill it raw. That's the beauty - no cooking to heat up your kitchen :)

Sue Shaw said...

I have been having trouble commenting on Patrick and Meredith's blog, so I am trying yours....The gazpacho sounds good!