Sunday, February 6, 2011

let's go krogering!

The above title does not apply to the baby bird any time soon.  In fact, I am convinced that we may now be banned from our local Kroger.

So I don't really talk much about my baby bird on this blog.  I mention him from time to time, and I love him to pieces, but I just usually choose to focus on other topics when I make my entries.
The following experience bears writing down, however, for a couple of reasons.  One is that I want to be able to read it later and laugh (hopefully) and two is that I need to give PUBLIC recognition to a very, very good friend that came to my rescue the other day.  
WARNING:
If you don't have kids, you may not want to read this.  It may cause you to never want them.  And if you are considering children in the near future, this may make you want to rethink.

So the baby bird and I were doing some shopping the other day at Kroger when he began telling me that his "tummy hurt".  What do you say to that?  Kids' tummies hurt all the time.  Being the caring, sympathetic mother that I am, I continued my shopping, but I did notice he wasn't eating his free sample of cantaloupe that I so generously allowed him to have.  Hmmm, that's funny.  My kid is like me.  We don't turn down food.
When I looked at him next, he was beginning to look green.  I asked him if he felt sick and he proceded to vomit all over himself, the cart, and the produce aisle.  Oh. My. Gosh.
I, like anyone, reached out to attempt to catch said vomit in my hands, but then quickly realized I couldn't contain it all, and what the heck was I going to do with it anyway?
One woman watched the whole scene unfold and graciously offered me a tissue.  Thanks lady, but I really need roll of Bounty.
What on earth do you do in these situations?  Why isn't there a section in parenting books called "when your child pukes in a public place" ?
I rolled the cart over to the customer service station and informed the lady there that I was very sorry, but my child puked in the produce aisle.  Baby bird and I then made our way into the restroom to clean up as best we could.  He had yacked all over his coat, so I put mine on him and began to search for my keys.

About this time I realized that my keys were conveniently locked inside my vehicle.

About this time I began to cry.

I decided that this constituted an emergency and began to call my sleeping hubby who was in the middle of a seven night work stretch, but I couldn't for the life of me get him to answer his phone.

Suddenly I began to smell a foul, foul aroma coming from my child.  Oh yes.  Diarrhea.  It just keeps getting better.  To top things off, I had a diaper, but no wipes.

I was getting desperate.  I decided to call my dear, precious, amazing, awesome friend Katie because I knew she would come to my rescue.  She's just that kind of friend.
Katie was there in 2 seconds flat.  She let me change the foulest diaper you can imagine in the back seat of her car, and she took my vomitous son and I home to retrieve my spare keys and then back to Kroger.
That, my friends is a true friend.
I am so blessed with a group of wonderful, Christian, women/fellow mothers/friends in my life that I can call on in ANY situation.
I LOVE YOU, KATIE!
I'll leave ya'll with a slightly more angelic version of my baby bird from Christmas, and the hope that your coming week will be better than my last one.

5 comments:

Mommy Webb said...

What an awful ordeal for Mama Bird and Baby Bird!!! I can imagine the entire scene and it kinda makes me nervous about my impending trip to Kroger today with Walker:). And yes, Katie is such a wonderful friend!

Stover's site said...

oh gosh - my heart totally goes out to you on this one. 1. I hate throw up. Detest throw up. Can't stand it... 2. In public? oh my goodness. Thank God for good friends and cell phones. You are a rock star mom. You handled it like a pro. Was it just a little 24 hour stomach bug??? poor mommy. You deserve a treat!

Tiffany Keene said...

I had to read this post out loud to Wes and we both LOLed! Sorry, I know you're laughing about the whole thing now and it was NO WHERE funny when it was happening. And I really hope that by laughing that karma doesn't come around and it happens to me! I can only imagine how defeated you felt! I want to cry just thinking about being in that situation! Katie IS amazing! I love her! And YOU! ;)

Sue Shaw said...

I was just waiting for a post about this episode in your life...how awful and funny at the same time! We need to catch up soon!

Jeanne said...

Your right, you WILL laugh about this later. I CANNOT believe it! But I bet it has happened to someone before! Poor Baby Bird! You did handle it well! Make sure you put me on the list to call--I hope you know I would come anytime!!! Let's hope you don't have anymore of those situations!!!!