Friday, July 15, 2011

twins


We had a cool thing happen this year.  One of our mama cows had twins.


It's not a super unusual thing to happen with cattle, but it's also not an extremely desirable thing.  What happens a lot of times is that when a cow has twins, she has trouble feeding them both, and neither one thrives the way they should.  Or one thrives, and the other does poorly.


This is not the case here.  Both calves look pretty great!  And mama seems to be doing well too.  Daddy Bird thinks that some cows are prone to having twins.  I'll take his word for it - he is a veterinarian, right?

We're pretty sure this same mama had twins last year, and I ended up bottle raising one of them.  Ugh.  Not cool.
I told Daddy Bird there would be no bottle raising this year.


Luckily, there's no need this time!  I feel for this mama though.  I'm nursing one baby and it seems like it's all I do some days.  I can't imagine nursing two!

Although, all she has to do is graze.  She doesn't have to cook, clean, and do laundry.  And her husband's not around, asking her to do things for him.


Ah, the life of a cow.


No comments: